Sian phones her friend Khalid and leaves a message on his
Khalid. Iíve just checked the train times for Tuesday next week and Iíve found
a train from Derby to Edinburgh that takes about four and a half
hours. Well, four hours and twenty-three minutes to be precise. It leaves Derby at 9.16 in the morning and gets into Edinburgh at 13.39. You
have to change once, at Newcastle.
It gets into Newcastle
at 11.52 and leaves at 12.01. The train to Newcastle
is run by Virgin Trains and the train you get from Newcastle
to Edinburgh is
run by GNER. There is a faster service but it leaves Derby
later in the morning Ė at 10.14 Ė and you have to change at Darlington.
It gets into Darlington Station at 12.14 and then youíve got a seven-minute
wait before your next train leaves. It gets into Edinburgh at 14.21. If you get the first
train I can meet you at two oíclock. My sister and her friend never finish work
until half past two so they can only come with me to meet you if you get a
later train. Let me know which train youíre coming on. If you want to come
later just let me know. Iíll be in tonight until half eight-ish, then Iím going
out with Michelle. Or you could give me a ring tomorrow night. Iíll be at my
mumís, on 0131 600 46220. Iím going there after work, so ring me any time after
about quarter past six and you should catch me there. Oh yes, the number to
find out train times is, er, 08457 484950. You could always give them a ring
yourself and find out about a different time.Ē
- Who is speaking?
- Who does she leave a message
- Where is her friend travelling
from and going to?
- How long exactly does the first
journey from Derby to Edinburgh take?
- How long exactly does the
second journey from Derby to Edinburgh take?
- How many changes are there
during the first journey?
- How long does it take the first
train to get from Derby to Newcastle?
- Where do you have to change
during the second journey?
- How long does it take the
second train to get from Darlington to Edinburgh?
- Which of the two trains taken
during the first journey is run by Virgin Trains?
- Write in words the time that
the second train gets into Edinburgh.
- What is the name of the other
train company mentioned?
- Do you know of a faster way to
get from Derby to Edinburgh?
- What time does the callerís
sister finish work on Tuesdays?
- If her friend gets the second
train, how many people will meet him at the station?
- What time is the caller going
- Who is she going out with?
- When is the callerís friend
hoping to travel?
- When will the caller next be at
- What is the phone number you
can call to find out train times?