Test yourself with our fun quiz!
1. What area does Derby cover (in square miles)?
About 20 square miles
About 30 square miles
About 40 square miles
2. How many people live in Derby?
About 225,000 people
About 320,000 people
About 610,000 people
3. What would you call someone who was born in Derby?
4. Derby was once a major __________ settlement.
5. True or false: Derby takes its name from the Danish Vikings, who called it 'Deoraby' because of the proliferation of deer in the area. It literally meant 'deer park' or 'place of the deer.'
6. Before that it was known as __________ by the Saxons,
7. and before that the Romans called it __________.
8. Derby's Silk Mill was the world's first modern factory. It was built in __________.
9. Joseph Wright lived and worked in Derby in the 18th century. He was a famous __________.
10. Another famous name from Derby's past is the architect Joseph __________.
Includes statistics from: "2020 Vision, Derby's CommunityStrategy - The next 3 years", published in June 2003 byDerby City Partnership.