1. Men didn't wear underwear until the 16th century
2. Waiters in Poland are not allowed to receive tips
3. In 1879 an American woman gave birth to a baby boy that weighed 23lb 12oz
4. "Twelve plus one" is an anagram of "eleven plus two"
5. The most expensive painting ever sold by a Swiss artist was "Expression on a Child's Face" by Jan Gurling, which took £2.2 million at auction in 1998
6. Hot water is heavier than cold water
7. In Icelandic there is no word for "sponge cake"
8. There are about 90 separate muscles in a bird's wing
9. "Granny Smith" apples - famous in England - are named after the 19th Century Australian gardener, Maria Ann Smith
10. It is thought that only around a third of people in the world eat their meals with a knife and fork